Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Final Reflections, by Shayna Nash


Final Reflections, by Shayna Nash

Senior Shayna Nash
I have to be honest; when the season first started I was not happy. Almost all of my friends had graduated and one of my best friends who had been on the team since freshman year was out for the whole season. The girl’s team seemed so foreign to me. I felt like a freshman; I didn’t really know anybody and I wanted to make a good impression.  But in reality I was a lonely senior who desperately missed her friends and wanted them to hop on the next plane and come back.  Throughout preseason, I shut myself off from the rest of the team. I was too busy missing my friends and reminiscing about seasons past to even bother with the people that were left.            

But then I heard something, something so inspiring from none other than freshman Ana Fowler. I overheard Ana talking about how she came from a small middle school.  Cross country was making her transition to high school so much easier because now she has all these new best friends. She knew both upperclassmen and people in her grade that would be there for her no matter what, she even compared the team to a family. She seemed so happy to be a part of the team. This reminded me of something I learned in psychology last year. Humans feel the need to belong. When a student enters B-CC, they are automatically part of the student body. They are one of thousands. But by being an athlete they are one of hundreds and by being on the cross country team they are one of a few. They’re part of something exclusive. That’s the greatest thing about cross country; the sport is exclusive and inclusive at the same time. There are no try-outs but after mid-August the walk-on closes. After that, you’re part of a team, a family, something bigger. Which takes me back to my freshman year.

In middle school I travelled in a pack of girls. I never did anything without at least one member of my little group. But freshman year, I decided to do cross country (because I thought it was sprinting-imagine my surprise the first day of practice) without my pack. This was a challenge for me. The first day of preseason I knew a total of 4 people. All the boys looked like grown men and the girls looked so old (they could drive-OMG!). I was intimidated to say the least. But as my first preseason came to a close, I began to feel like part of something. I had never been on a school team before. It was kind of cool, especially when school started. I’d see the upperclassmen in the hallway and I thought I was so cool when I would walk in the hallway with my freshman friends and a senior would say, “hi” or wave to me.  One of my friends from school was neighbors with one of the seniors on the team and whenever I’d go to my friend’s house we’d ring her doorbell and leave something totally ridiculous. Looking back on it, I’m a little embarrassed but at the time I thought I was a big deal because I knew a senior. I had always wanted other freshman and underclassmen to get to know me and look up to me like I had to all of the seniors my freshman year. So after I heard Ana, I opened my mind. It took some time but I eventually began to feel more comfortable around the other girls. I really got to know and develop friendships with them and I’m so glad I did.

Yesterday, as I completed my final race, I realized how much I’ve gained from this four year experience. I’ve made some lifelong friends. I learned about  commitment, hard work and dedication. I learned how to compete with, support and respect my teammates.  Most importantly throughout my years I’ve finally accumulated enough knowledge of the sport and maturity to be a role model. Being elected captain was one of the greatest honors I could have ever received. Having looked up to countless upperclassmen when I was younger, I’m happy I could do the same for some of you. I promise, even when I graduate, to always be there for you all. Always.


Love,

Captain Shayna 

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful reflection of how special XC is at BCC! I've always thought XC was a great group of kids and this just proves it. Kudos to you Shayna for sharing and good luck in your future!

    ReplyDelete