Thursday, January 20, 2011

Conversations: Senior Eliot Gerson, on leadership


Distance runner Eliot Gerson, 17,has had a strong start in the indoor track season. Last year, during the outdoor season, he set a PR in the mile, running 4 minutes, 38 seconds. This year, he has already eclipsed that time twice indoors, running 4:36 and 4:37. In the 800 meter run, he also has excelled, running a 2:04 in a 4 x 800 relay race. Eliot has committed to Vassar College next year, where he plans to run cross-country and track. Here is one in an occasional series of conversations with B-CC track student-athletes:


Q: What are your impressions of the season so far?

A: I’m really excited because I’ve been running faster and my times have been dropping consistently. It’s especially exciting because it’s early in the year.

Q: Why has it gone well?

A: Health is probably the biggest reason. I’m managing thus far to stay healthy, which is huge. After four years, I’m beginning to understand my body a little bit, when to push, when to back off. (Senior) Trevor (Stephens) also has helped me drop my time, just by having him as a training partner.

Q: How often do you run together?

A: On the days we have practice, we run together. He also lives nearby so on weekends we also run, and that’s one of the biggest things, helping me get out.

Q: What are your goals this year?

A: I don’t know if I have specific goals set. I’m taking it one race at a time. Anything can happen. I can get hurt, or things could go great and I run faster than I thought I could. I don’t want to limit myself (by setting a goal), but I also don’t want to set a goal that does not allow me to enjoy the things I have done because I haven’t accomplished that one goal. So if I’m going to pick a goal now, it’s a smaller one. One is to qualify for states for the indoors. From there, if I do that, I’ll see what place I can realistically get. But until I qualify for the states, I’m not thinking about it.

Q: As a senior, how has your role on the team changed?

A: It’s kind of interesting, because on one hand as a senior you have a little bit more responsibility, but at the same time, there’s a little bit less pressure because we have a lot of seniors this year. We’re lucky in that regard. A lot of people have been on the team for a number of years, and that’s been helpful. It’s taken the pressure off all of us, and we can rely on each other. One or two of us don’t have to carry the weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment